Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Marriage Tip #1: Use the Opposite of What You Think

So April 15th of this year will mark the 7th year Sharkey and I have been joined in marital bliss. We have a great relationship. We support each other. We still can make each other laugh. I still give her that goofy love struck look when she walks into the room. We are each other's best friend. We have a mutual respect for each other, while not being afraid to go against each other's opinions on things. For example, I grew up on the East coast so the game where kids sit in a circle while one kid is on the outside of the circle saying, "duck, duck, duck, duck, duck.........." is called "Duck, Duck, Goose." Now Sharkey grew up in the Midwest, Minnesota to be precise. This same game is called "Duck, Duck, Grey Duck" there. We've had lively discussions on which name is more appropriate, but we respect the diversity.

In seven years I can count the number of knock down arguments we've had on one hand. Actually, I can use one finger. Yep that's right. We've only ever had one argument, and if memory serves it was about a dog. Ya, ya, really "serious" argument it was. Sharkey says that the reason we do not argue so much is because I'm so easy going and accepting of everything she does. Well, that may be true, but I have found the secret to avoiding conflict guys. That is the "JP Opposite Rule" of responding. See, when we were dating and shortly after we were married I realized when Sharkey would ask my opinion on things and gave me a choice between two items I typically chose the opposite of what she chose. I estimate that this happened with about an 85 - 90% frequency. So after that I decided to choose the opposite of what I'd normally choose and see how it worked out. This has worked out very well!!! Now I cannot say it will work for everyone, but fellas if you are thinking about taking the plunge, keep track of how many times your opinion and your better half's opinion match up and get back to me. Yeah, I know what you are thinking. This is total BS. But hey, I'm like no other man.... well except for George Costanza:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's calld "Duck, Duck, Goose" here on the West Coast too. Those silly Mid-Westerners ;-)

The Hubs and I rarely fight either. We've known each other for 9 years and honestly, to date, we've never had a "knock down argument". Sure we get snippy with each other (come ON, we work together and live together, we're talking 24/7 people!) but we don't yell or scream or go to bed mad.

I tend to think that's because the Hubs is easy going as well. Not that I'm terribly demanding, but I'm sure he's easier to live with than I am.

I don't really ask his opinion in things though, so maybe that's why we don't fight ;-)

Heh.

Anonymous said...

"Duck, Duck, Gray Duck" just doesn't have the same ring to it...

Anonymous said...

See, you don't just say, "Duck. Duck. Duck. Duck. Gray Duck!" That would be really boring.

It's, "Orange Duck, Yellow Duck, Purple Duck, Gray Duck!"

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, see now I might like your version more, because it teaches kids colors!

Character Builder said...

Continuing along the lines of Sharkey's comment, you could get really creative, too, and say, "pink with purple polka-dots duck, stripey duck, GRAY DUCK!" It's the only way it should be played.

Jason and I don't fight either. Like Suzie said, we get snippy like that too, but because we're both so laid back, I actually think I can say that we have never had a "fight." Sometimes I think we're too laid back.

Kranki said...

Up here in Canada it is "Moose, goose, moose, goose - BEAVER!!!"

Just kidding.