Monday, August 27, 2007

George Foreman Grill and Water

George My New Best Friend...

So my Mom bought this simple kitchen appliance for Sharkey and me about 2 years ago.

GeorgeGrill

Now I know you know what it is. Unless you've been living under a rock you recognize the George Foreman Lean Mean Grilling Machine. When my Mom gave it to us I thought to myself, "What the heck am I going to do with this thing?" So it survived 2 garage sales and it occupied a small corner of the kitchen to be forgotten. Well that was until this past weekend. See Sharkey has requested we eat a bit better. Less fat, lower calorie, etc. So I found a good recipe for a California Panini and decided it was a good start. It has shrimp, avocado, beefsteak tomato, and a Dijon/mayo dressing. See if you didn't know or if you need some reminding I am the cook of the family. So healthy requires a bit of prep, because it typically involves vegetables, but for a panini, you need a sandwich press. So I was thinking how to simulate a sandwich press. I first thought of using my gas grill and then just flipping the thing, but then I knew that the sides really need to be heated simultaneously, so then I started thinking about what else I could use. Hey!!! I have one of those George Foreman grill thingy's I wonder if that would work? Let's fire that baby up and give it a go! So I give you the California Panini:

californiapanini

The little grill worked pretty well. 4 minutes and you have a hot little tasty sandwich. It worked so well in fact that tonight I made grilled strip steak sandwiches with provolone (cheddar for Sharkey) and onion. So the little, forgotten grill has become JP's favorite new kitchen gadget.

That's Some High Quality H2O...

I drink a lot of water at work. Typically, I'll down like 32-48 oz. in a day. But I've had a bit of a problem, because I put ice in my water and that of course makes the container sweat, so when I tilt it to take a sip, I usually end up with many water spots on my shirt and/or on my pants. And let me tell you, nothing says IT Professional like a man who looks like he pissed his pants...

So to remedy this problem I found this water bottle with a built in straw. It's pretty sweet and look Ma, no more wet pants!!!

H2O

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you....no more piss pants!

I drink about 85 oz. of water a day (at work, more at home) but I don't dribble on myself, thankfully.

That sandwich looks good! When I clicked on the link (that Sharkey provided on her Flickr stream) they even had a vegetarian option. YAY!!!

I just need to find myself a J.P. to make them for me now and I'll be set ;-)

Anonymous said...

Yes! I have been using the Foreman Grill as a panini press for years! (I'm surprised more people don't think of it, really.) I would probably use it a lot more often if it were easier to clean... next time around, I'll get the new kind with the removable grilling plates.

Kranki said...

That sammy looks very yummy. And I'm glad you got your drinking problem all figured out.

JP said...

suzieq Peeing your pants is the coolest!! --Billy Madison.. Remember, I'm the original JP, accept no substitutes! =)

lola A friend of mine cued me in on cleaning the thing. It's pretty easy. You just soak a paper towel and put it on the grates. It cleans it up like a champ!

kranki Yes. The drinking problem has been fixed!! Now if I could just get over Macho Grande!