Sunday, September 07, 2008

The Win...And the Universe Balances Itself

So a few weeks ago, my partner and I lost the golf playoff. Nothing new there right? My back was gimpy and while I said I did my best, it was fine, no regrets, etc.,... it still sucked rocks to lose. Well, the universe tends to balance itself out and redemption lay right around the corner.

At the end of each season we have a final afternoon of golf and a closing season dinner. The final night we do one more competition using a little different format. Instead of playing against another men's team, we are paired with a women's team and we play a scramble format. No handicaps are used, no points given, just straight up golf the way the good Lord above intended it. Our team against 20 other teams. We played very well. My back is all good and one of the things I love to do the most is smash the ball down the fairway, and smash I did. The ladies we were paired with were really nice and my partner and I showed them a good time. They were a bit "older" than we were, but they were a lot of fun and made some decent shots/putts. They said, "youth has its advantages and that we were really nice men." Funny how we never get paired with the young, hot women's teams, but I digress... Anyhow... We finished -4 for 9 holes of play. So what that means is that if the par for 9 holes is 36, at -4 we scored 32.

We finished our round, turned in our scorecards, then hit the bar for a couple beers and enjoyed the closing dinner. We were sitting there after dinner and they started the awards. My partner and I were sitting there and they announced "the runner up for the scramble at -3 was..." I turned to my partner and said, "Dude, I think we won." He was bewildered and said, "No way." We watch the runners up get their awards and walk off, and my partner is still sitting there saying "no, way, no, way...." Then they announced, "the winners of the season ending scramble at -4 is JP, Bri, Char, and Nan." We went up and accepted our awards and went back to our seats (um, the ladies were eccstatic, they hugged us in front of everyone and were jumping up and down...it was cute). We're sitting there and my partner is still saying "no way, no way." I took a look at our award, and what we won was equal to what we would've gotten if we had won the playoff match. I then turned to my partner, Bri, (who is still in shock that we won, still saying, "no way, no way") and said, "WAY!!! SCORE!!!!" Once again, equilibrium has been attained in JP's life...

3 comments:

WILLIAM said...

Very cool. Helping the old ladies witht he Birdies and what not...

Dhave said...

JP,

Hi. I am loving your site! I am just kind of getting acclimated to it. So much to read and enjoy. BTW, please tell me how you are drawing stick figures. No, seriously. I want to do a story board, typed in drawing stick figures/Microsoft Word, and I ended up at your site-- AND I'm living in Tokyo, and have been for 15 years. So, your site is doubly interesting! If you have a moment and some words of wisdom, I'd really appreciate it. I did what you did. Parellels/MacBook. Now I'm almost entirely in MacBook. It's awesome, isn't it?

Thanking you in advance and hoping I'll hear from you soon!

chezbabz@yahoo.com

(I can grasp WordArt, but how are you making the great faces... or is all simpler than I think?)

JP said...

william I am totally down wit dat!!

dhave Thanks for stopping by! I am glad you like the sticks. basically I use MS Paint to make all of them. I'll shoot you an e-mail on exactly what I do.