Friday, January 16, 2009

One Ball

I went to NJ today to help my Mom shop for a new refrigerator. Her current one is a byproduct of the 80's. It was definitely time for it to go. It is on its last leg. It is also a wonderful color, like a brown mustard (whoever thought that was a good color, I dunno...). She found a nice, white Frigidaire which will be delivered tomorrow. I had lunch with her, took her back home and then headed back to PA. Whenever I go see my Mom in NJ, I also try to go visit my Dad's spot at the cemetery.

I go to say "Hi" and to tell him what's new with me, Sharkey, and Maggie. It is funny, but I'm not exactly sure why I even talk at the place. I mean, it is not like I really believe he is really there to talk to and that place is the only place where I think he can hear me. See I know his ashes are there, but I know his spirit is elsewhere. He is somewhere better, somewhere perfect, and somewhere where I will be someday as well. But still, maybe it is because I am still flesh and blood that makes me need a physical "place" to talk with my Dad.

When I was there, I told him that I couldn't wait for the weather to warm up so I could golf again. Then that made me think a bit and reflect for a few minutes. I took up golf just to spend time with my Dad and get him out for some physical activity. Now golf is a huge part of my life. It is definitely something he passed on to me and I may have mentioned this before, but when I am playing out on the greens and on the fairways I feel like he's there with me watching and smiling.

I went to my car, unzipped my golf bag and took out a ball. I then went over to his stone and placed it into a spot in front. I suppose it is my way to thank him for passing on his love of the game to me and giving me a way to always be close to him. One ball with three red dots to symbolize so much...

oneball

Now I just need to wait for my Mom to call so I can explain to her where the golf ball came from by Dad's stone.... =)

5 comments:

Kranki said...

I think it is great that you have a safe place to talk with your dad. I truly believe that he can hear you.

WILLIAM said...

You must hust been freezing your Balls off (pun intended) at the cemetary.

I like having a place to visit my dad. It just feels right to have somewhere to go.

Anonymous said...

You're certainly not alone in that kind of "visiting" :). I can't explain the connection and everything you state is true about our fathers being in a better, perfect place BUT it's comforting knowing there is a physical place to be to have a chat. I seem drawn to my dad's grave every time there's some major milestone or event happening in my life and he's been gone for over 25 years. Love you - Karen

Bogart said...

Very cool...

One of the things I used to tell people when I was doing ministry/council was that it often is helpful to write a letter or have a place to go talk to relatives that have passed-away...people often thought it strange, but once they did it, found it very helpful and useful!

Clearly you are not currently in need of my services!

JP said...

kranki I know he does.

william I know you get it.

karen You have always been a sweetheart!

bogart I do find your comment helpful and useful. Services appreciated!