Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Routine

So now that I have to commute to work every morning like 90% of all Americans I have had to change my daily/nightly habits a bit. Before, since I could roll out of bed at 8:25AM and then take a one minute commute in my PJ's and bunny slippers to my office to work there really was no need to do anything the night before but stay up until 1:00am. Now things are way different. I'm getting back into the swing of things, so I have had to change my routine a bit. Now I'd say I'm dead asleep by 11:45pm, and like the boy scout I am, I make sure the clothes I need for the next day are washed and pressed and ready to go.

So it's up at 7:00AM and a quick 15 minute shave, constructive "product" placing in the hair, and brushing of the teeth. Then I grab something to eat, kiss Sharkey good bye. and out the door by 7:45AM I go with my thermal mug filled with coffee, cream and 2 sugars. The drive isn't too bad. I'm estimating it takes 35 minutes in the morning and 35 minutes in the afternoon for me to drive back and forth to work. Here's the JP before and after shot:

Changes

As sad as this sounds, I enjoy actually running out the door to go to work. Having worked totally virtual for the past 3 years, it actually feels like I'm a "grown up" going to a real job. Now I know that I did have a real job before, but there's just something that changes when you have to get up, get dressed, and I mean "dressed" and run out the door. I expect this perception to wear off eventually, but for now I'm enjoying it and it is an unexpected benefit. I think the self esteem took a little boost with the job change. I think a big part of that feeling is that I'm going to be really challenged in this new position and it's going to require me to work to be "The Man" again. And I'm pretty pumped to prove myself and to see how much I can learn/do. And I have no misconceptions on what I need to learn. There's a totally new business, with a new corporate language and tons of acronyms I need to become familiar with. So they say in 9 months the light will go on in my head and I'll just get it all of a sudden. I'm hoping to do it in 6 or less! We will see!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What, no pants?

Anonymous said...

I want to work where you work. Pants are required at my place of employment. Unless of course you're the Hubs. Then you can ask elderly women if they want it doggy style and pants are optional.

I used to LOVE when I was told about those time frames for the "light to go off". I always pushed the envelope and made sure my light blinded people earlier too ;-)

Congrats on being an adult. I think you're going to fit in fine. Just don't whip out your anime toys or books. Heh.

Anonymous said...

You are awesome (of course you were awesome before the new job)!

Here are my 1/2-life predictions:
Jaded feeling of new job... 9 months
Enjoying commute.... until you encounter your 2nd bad commute from someone else's car accident (at which point I'll tell you to turn to 560AM for a little Pastor Joe)
Getting 'dressed'.... two weeks
Annoyed with neighbor teasing you... two days

Thanks for being you!

Character Builder said...

Sharkey took my comment! Must be a pretty laid back place, huh?

Kranki said...

Well, by your illustration your metamorphosis into Super JP is almost complete. You now have a tie to pull off and a triangle badge on your chest in your Golf Man superhero outfit. You just need some horn-rimmed glasses and you're done. Cool.

JP said...

sharkey Now Honey everyone knows who wears the pants in our family!

suzieq Nice tip on the Anime toys. I will take it under consideration... for now...

judepa This from the man that gets up at 5AM.. =)

kranki Ya haven't seen my new DB glasses with the faux wood temples yet!! Ha!!