Sunday, February 03, 2008

It's a Small World After All

I have been assigned a mega project at work. It has been just insane. From the time I get in the office until the time I leave it is go, go, go... It won't let up until mid April either. Oh well, you cannot make an omelet without cracking a few eggs right? With this project, I have to make phone calls to 30 different 3rd party companies on behalf of the mega-company to establish a partnership between my company and the 3rd party company. It is necessary for me to finalize the partnerships to fulfill the project requirements, and I have to get total buy in and cooperation from the 3rd party companies or the project will essentially fail, well, um, no pressure there... To make a long story short, one of the 3rd party companies is the company I resigned from back in June 2007.

So I was on a call with the client and a representative from my old company. We go through what the requirements are, and I do all the typical points of "We need this, this is why it benefits you, and here's how it affects the mega-company" The rep from the old company agrees they can accomplish what I describe and agrees to partner with us to get the job done for the mega-company, then she asks if she can have my contact information. I said sure, my number is XXX-XXX-XXXX and my name is "JP." At that point, the rep goes, "We have a JP at our company." Then I said, "No, you used to have a JP at your company." The rep then replied, "JP? Oh my God, how are you? How's Sharkey??? When did you leave?" We had a good laugh at that point. But I did have to call the mega-company back to apologize for the awkward situation and explain how I used to work for the other company. It just shows what a small world it is.

UPDATE...


My last post was about everything I've been dealing with lately. Since I put that post up a few things happened. My one friend found a new job and that position gives him equivalent pay to what he had, but more opportunity and a higher position than what he had before. My other friend who received the cancer diagnosis had a successful surgical procedure and is on the mend. With those two things resolved I can deal with the rest and it is time to pull a Maggie...

LazyDay

2 comments:

Character Builder said...

It's a small world after all...it's a small...oh, you didn't want me to sing? Sorry.

Glad to hear things have turned around regarding your friend's job. I tell you...these things happen for a reason.

Also happy to hear things are looking good for your friend with cancer. He's tough and is like *this* (crossing fingers) with the man upstairs. He'll be fine.

That still leaves you having to support your mom, but that's kind of a kid's job in your situation.

That's funny that the rep from your old company said that they have a JP working for them. Silly girl, doesn't she know that the world can only handle 1 JP? ;)

Kranki said...

Well, I'm happy to read that things seem to be calming down and figuring themselves out. Woo!

I love the photo. I think Mags needs some glasses too.