Saturday, February 14, 2009

Clearwater Here We Come


Sharkey
and I are putting together our vacation plans for the end of March. We determined we are headed south. We are going to road trip it. We were batting around the ideas of Las Vegas, the Caribbean, a cruise, and Florida for vacation and to celebrate Sharkey's:



Birthday.

Well, with all the planes going down all over the world and more frequently in the North East, the statistics of safely flying is becoming a bit troubling. And even though the "spendulous" package passed through congress this week and is going to give us a whopping $15 more dollars a week, we thought we'd try to conserve a bit, while still having fun. So here's what we are looking at:

Day 1: Reston, VA


There's a restaurant there called Big Bowl.



Sharkey and I used to frequent Big Bowl in Minneapolis, and this is the closest one and on the way south to our final destination.

Day 2: The Carolina's

Lunch in Raleigh, NC to meet with friends, possibly a nephew and then on to Charleston, SC.

Day 3: Florida Land of Oranges and Mickey


On to Florida. Cross the border, drink some fresh orange juice and then explore some coastal towns. We could use some help with this leg of the trip. I wonder if someone who lived in Florida has any ideas (cough, William, cough, cough) for us?

Days 4-6 : Clearwater, Phillies vs. Astros, beach / umbrella drink time

Clearwater, Florida. We are taking in a preseason game for the 2008 World Series Champions, Philadelphia Phillies:



We also thought we could hang out in Clearwater for a few nights and do some days at the beach and just relax.

Day 7: On the road again

Back up the coast to the Carolina's

Day 8: The Keystone State

Home sweet home in PA

Day 9: Recuperation, it's not just for breakfast anymore...


Crash out at home from the trip

We are hoping to see more of the things you would typically miss when you fly over them in an airplane. I'm sure Sharkey will take lots and lots of pictures and I'm hoping we can find some off the path places and little food places. This trip reminds us both when we were kids on vacation with our families in the car on the road. Do you remember? Let me take you there. It was the time when the cars on the road were all metal, no one wore seat belts, and you would hang on the front seat from the back, cause front seats were not separate, but were like couches. And you'd hear some familiar tunes on the AM/FM radio while Dad drove all over the place with the window down and his left arm out the window.



Yeah, those times. Great times...

5 comments:

Kranki said...

Sounds like a great plan and I can't wait to see the photos. I'm turning 40 in a couple weeks as well and don't have anything as great as this to look forward to. Maybe I should do a solo road trip somewhere.

Anonymous said...

OMG, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw that Sharkey will be 40. That can't be right! I'm not old enough for that!!! Lucy

Bogart said...

Hooray for Spring Training baseball!!!

JP said...

kranki We should form a club. I'll be hittin' the big 4-0 in September!

lucy Looking at that age scares my eyes!!

Bogart YA YA!! Phillies!!!

WILLIAM said...

St augustine Florida is called the oldest city in the US. I have been there but I heard it is cool. It is right off of i95 North of I 4. It is like 2 hours from Orlando and 4.5 hours from Clearwater.

JUst south of i 4 off of 95 is cape canaveral. Then you can take 528 to orlando. I have spent plenty of time on 528.