Monday, February 23, 2009

Remember the 80s?

At work today I went a couple aisles down from my cube to my old cube. My old cube is located where my old team sits. Even though I am not on their team anymore, I still feel like I am still one of them so I go for a visit now and then. One of the women brought in her old CD's she was cleaning out of her house. So everyone was talking about what they used to listen to back in the day when they were in high school. One of the girls said she listened to Debbie Gibson. The rest of my team said, "Who's that? I've never heard of her. What did she sing?" I was like, are you kidding? She was awesome! She sang "Only in My Dreams" and "Shake Your Love." I saw her in concert. OK, I just totally dated and outed myself as a former teen pop star fan... But still, Debbie Gibson brings back great memories... The 80's!



After that little conversation I went back to my desk, took out my iPhone and queued up Pandora. Pandora is a sweet little application that streams music based on an artist you key in (Oh, BTW apps for the iPhone like Pandora makes reason #1369 for getting one). It selects genres of songs based on who you pick. So I keyed in "Debbie Gibson" and I spent the rest of my work day with background music of some old friends:

Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam
Roxette
Richard Marx
The Bangles
Belinda Carlisle
Heart
Tiffany
Naked Eyes
The Motels
A-Ha

It is pretty amazing how listening to all of that just takes you back to another time.

6 comments:

WILLIAM said...

Cough*dork*cough

Character Builder said...

You want 80s music? Next time you're in town, you'll have to check out Jason's library of 80s CDs. That's what he mostly still listens to!

Anonymous said...

"I think we're alone now.
It doesn't seem to be anyone around.
I think we're alone now..."


I loved that song! I wonder what ever happened to Tiffany?

Kranki said...

Ah, yes, the 80's...

I "heart" Heart.

JP said...

william I know you are a closet Bananarama fan...you cannot fool me!

cb Jason?!? Really. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Q Tiffany still sings. She released an album a couple years ago and also did a Playboy spread

Kranki Funny how in dreams your feet never touch the earth...

WILLIAM said...

The Q..Cough*dork*Cough