Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Wasabi, A Little Goes a Long Way

I went out to lunch with my team today. We were celebrating a woman's birthday on my team. She initially wanted Thai food, but fortunately the Thai restaurant was closed for a private party today. Yeah, I really do not like Thai food. I have never craved Thai food or even thought, "Hey you know what sounds good, a nice Pad Thai!" Nah, no, not... Fortunately for me, my favorite Japanese restaurant is right next to the Thai restaurant, and everyone (yes, I used the Jedi mind trick on all of them) thought Japanese sounded good.

We went in, I said a big "Hi!" to the owner and received the warm, happy greeting (favorite restaurant means JP frequents the place quite a bit). We all ordered lunch. I sat next to the Birthday girl who ordered sushi for the first time ever. Brave girl. Of course, she was sitting next to the master... I was explaining all the in's and out's of the different types of sushi you can get. She went with a raw, spicy salmon roll and the "standard" California roll. I went with my standard selection of spicy tuna roll and an Alaskan roll. The sushi came, and she asked me what the green stuff was. I told her it was the "heat," the stuff of legends, and the main reason why a lot of people eat sushi -- WASABI!! I told her some people mix it with soy sauce, while purists like myself take it straight up on the sushi. She picked a little wasabi with her chopsticks and before I could warn her, stuck it in her mouth...

So after the paramedics left after having revived her, and her normal facial color returned, she said she could not believe how hot it was. I told her she should be one of the soy mixing people to start her sushi eating adventures. That worked out pretty well and she was lovin' the raw fish and was looking forward to trying it again. She said she really liked the colors of the food and was almost disappointed to eat it, because it was so pretty. Another satisfied customer.

Today's incident reminded me of $10 I spent in high school. My friend and I were at a sushi bar and he kept saying that the wasabi wasn't that hot. I bet him $10 he couldn't take the 1x1 inch of wasabi and down it all at once. He took the bet. He just about died. He turned bright, bright red, his eyes shot out of his head and he pounded his fists on the table and afterwards chased after his sinuses which unmercifully shot out of his head and went screaming away into the night. It was the best $10 I had ever spent!!! Yeah, that's right. That's how JP ROLLS!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sushi is the only thing that I miss about being a vegetarian. Sure, veggie rolls exist, but they're just not the same!

One time my brother, then boyfriend and I all pitched in a few bucks to get my brother's "It's not that hot!" friend to eat a big ole chunk of wasabi. The guy was EXTREMELY fair complected (translucent skin, watery blue eyes, LOTS of freckles) and he literally turned brick red and his eyes started watering so much. It was hilarious. Best $5 I ever spent ;-)

Kranki said...

Mmmmm..I had sushi today for lunch as well. Deeeeeelicious! I love it when somebody tries sushi for the first time because I don't think any other food has quite the ritual about it and sharing all that is so much fun. I had a great wasabi rush today which I love as it is unbearable for just a few seconds and then you are totally fine. Wooosh!

Bogart said...

My mother eats the Costco sushi...it comes with Costco Wasabi. It is not hot.

I took her to real sushi. She put a glob of wasabi on her tuna. I tried to warn her. She said she eats it all the time and it does not bother her.

I miss my mother a lot some days.

JP said...

Q If I were ever to have a sister with the same, twisted humor, it would TOTALLY be you!

JP said...

kranki That's riiiight! We will have to go out for some delish fish when we make a trek to Canada for some winter Olympic action!

bogart You need to tell Ma to cease and desist with the Costco sushi! You crack me up!