Monday, June 05, 2006

I Am So Not Musical

OK, so I realized that when I married Sharkey that we had differences, despite us being pretty similar. I like reading Science Fiction, she likes reading Political Mysteries. I like cherry pie, she likes apple pie. I like regular Pepsi, she likes Diet Pepsi. I am the dreamer, Sharkey is the realist. I like listening to music, she likes playing music. Which leads me to this post I am writing tonight. (As I type this I have the biggest grin on my face mind you). Anyhow, for those of you who do not know, my Sharkey is musical. I mean she is really musical and very talented. She plays a mean clarinet. I mean really plays. I am in awe of her when I listen to her playing. She also plays with a local community concert band. And they are pretty good mind you. I was listening to them play Mars by Holst at their last concert and my jaw just dropped it was that good.

So last night they had their band dinner. It was quite the affair. It was at a local county club that I can only dream of being a member at. And they had a "talent" show for entertainment. There were like 10 acts. I was going cross eyed and comatose after the 6th. And the reason why was because there were references to all things band and musical. So here's JP's top 10 list of observations of band people:

1. Band people do not drink much booze
2. Being able to play in a band does not give one the ability to deliver punch lines
3. Bachtoven is not a real composer. I know, I know, I was so surprised too...
4. Band people do not know how to use microphones.
5. Band people travel in herds
6. Band people talk in a language similar to Klingon.
7. Band people do not party
8. Being able to play an instrument and read music does not grant one the ability to sing
9. Speeches at fun events should be fun, inspiring, and congratulatory and not cause band members to leave crying and jumping off local bridges...
10. JP will consume a minimum of 4 Capt. Morgan/Coke at all future band functions...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Numbers 1, 2, 4, 7, and 8 are my favorites :o)

We're glad you came, though. A lot of people (at least more than I'd expected) did not bring their S.O., and I think that's weird.

JP said...

lola Yeah it was sort of funny, I was thinking the same thing. Shouldn't you be off on your Honeymoon? Congrats!!!!

Character Builder said...

Bachtoven is not a real composer? I'm shocked! I swear we played at least 3 of his pieces in orchestra in high school!

Do you know how the schools decide who is going to be in band? They listen to them sing, and if they're really bad, they quick shove an instrument into their mouths to shut them up. Simple as that! I, however, was allowed to play the cello. Do you think that means I can sing?