Thursday, January 18, 2007

Great Customer Service

As you know, one of my pet peeves is bad customer service. I worked as a client software support analyst for 7 years, so I know what it takes to make your client happy and do the job right. So I have expectations when it comes to customer service. If you visit my BLOG with any frequency you also know I'm a gadget guy. I like my toys. And one of my toys is a Masterbuilt electric turkey fryer. I've used the big guy about 5 times. Nothing like cooking a 12 lb. turkey in 45 min. It also is a good steamer as well because it is so huge, so Sharkey and I use it for summer cookouts when we want to cook a lot of corn on the cob. We spent Thanksgiving in Minnesota and the neighbors asked if they could borrow the fryer. "Sure not a problem!!" Well as fate would have it, Sharkey and I were going to make gigantic crab claws for new years eve and I thought it'd be great to make it in the turkey fryer/steamer. So I called the neighbors and asked if I could have the big boy back. Here's how the story went:

JP: Yeah hey there neighbor I was wondering if I could get my turkey fryer back from ya!!!

Neigh: Oh, yeah well there's something I have to tell you about that....

JP: What's going on? Don't tell me you haven't cleaned it since Thanksgiving...

Neigh: Well see here's what happened, we used it and the non-stick coating is coming off of the basket and pot. But we decided we're going to get you a brand new one.

JP: Oh no you are not!! This is clearly a manufacturing defect. Don't worry about it. I 'll call Masterbuilt this week and get a replacement pot/basket.

So I got the fryer back and it looked pretty much like what I thought it would:

oldfry

oldfry2

So I prepared myself to call customer service. Mind you I know my fryer is past the warranty period. I expect that I'll have to have a lively discussion to get what I want. And I know that I pretty much only have my word to tell the customer service person that I didn't screw it up myself by scouring it with steel wool or a brillo pad, so I figured I'd just be direct truthful and point out some things I noticed on their website... Here's how it went:

CustomerServ:
(in very strong southern accent) Hi this is Jeannie with Masterbuilt how can I help ya?

JP: Yeah, Hi, this is JP from PA. I have an electric turkey fryer. I've used it like 5-6 times and this last time the non-stick coating is just peeling off. Is it supposed to do that?

CustomerServ: No sir definitely not. We also don't sell that model anymore.

JP: Do you not sell that model because the non-stick flakes off after so many uses?

CusomerServ: That very well could be sir.

JP: Hey I know I'm out of warranty, but I was wondering if this is really a manufacturing defect and if I could get replacement parts for the defective parts.

CustomerServ: Not a problem, I'll honor your warranty and send you out a new pot/basket set at no charge and it'll take 4-6 weeks for you to receive it. Can you give me your address and telephone number?

JP: (bewildered and half believing what's going on) Um, hey that sounds great!! Thank you so much Jeannie you really made my day


So the new pot/basket came the other day:

newfry

newfry2

I still cannot believe how great the customer service was for Masterbuilt. I'd definitely buy another product from them and would totally recommend them to anyone!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look... it's a bird, it's a plane, no it's SuperJP. You gotta love when a company stands behind their name (above their product) and appreciates the customer.

Anonymous said...

So now Sharkey can add "Turkey Fryer Pan Photographer" to her resume as well :-)

That is nice to hear of a company actually standing behind their products and trying to the right thing by their customers!

Anonymous said...

um.... cough, cough.... I hope those neighbors of yours realize how good they have it living next to SuperJP

Anonymous said...

Suzie, JP took these. He just happened to use the "studio" (read: cheesy setup in the dining room) where I photographed my Ziplocs the other day. I was using the white nylon as a reflector rather than a backdrop.

Anonymous said...

It is so nice to hear when someone has a good experience with a company. People are so quick to tell the world when they have something to complain about, but it's also nice to hear about a company doing something good for customers!

Anonymous said...

I still can't get over the photos of the pot and basket on display like a piece of art in a gallery (complete with backdrop).

Anonymous said...

You should start your own QVC.

JP TV. That new one won't peel.

Williams Brother

Kranki said...

Well daaaaym. That is excellent. So simple and easy. Horaaay!

The Q said...

WHAT?!?! JP knows how to use the camera?

Heh, I keed, I keed ;-)

JP said...

soozieq Your joke is funny, for me to poop on!!!

cherie Turkey fryer baskets are art!!

lola When you find a good company and great service, you gotta spread the word

kranki The best things in life are free!!!!!

judepa & kimpossible Yeah remember the first time we looked at the house at winter and said, "We were thinkig about being your neighbors!" You didn't know what you were in for!

william's bro Thanks for stopping by, please come again...

Stepping Over the Junk said...

I must go get a turkey frier.