Saturday, January 13, 2007

Man Stall Tactic #1

Sharkey and I are coming up on 7 years of being married. It is hard to believe that we've been together that long. The time has just flown by. As we approach this momentous occasion, I was thinking of the unique things about our relationship. This made me think about how we communicate with each other. It also made me think about the things I do when she's talking to me that drives her nuts. So I give you, "MAN STALL TACTIC #1: The Huh? response"

As everyone knows when men are talking with women we aren't always present in the conversation 100% of the time. Our minds tend to wander a bit to other things. You know, we think about football, what we are going to eat next, what's on TV at 9:00pm, etc. Therefore when we are asked questions in these types of conversations we employ a tactic to give us more time to respond, also known as the "Huh?" response. Case in point, Sharkey will be talking to me about something and then all of a sudden ask me a question. The appropriate response to this query, in order to formulate an appropriate answer, is for JP to say, "Huh, what did you say?" This response does two things. First of all you gain more time to figure out a reply. Secondly, it acknowledges that you heard the question, but need some clarification. Unfortunately, after 7 years this response has been identified by Sharkey as the buying more time ploy and now instead of her repeating the question, I usually get, "You heard what I said." It also prompts her to interject, "Why can't you just answer the question, since I know you understood what I said?!!" I of course, give the next standard man response, "Um, I'm not sure..."

Next time I'll go over the secret to my argument free marriage to Sharkey, picking the opposite of what I'd usually pick when she asks my opinion.

4 comments:

WILLIAM said...

The opposite? I have tried that and it always backfires.

Kranki said...

Sneaky....very sneaky. :-)

Character Builder said...

Yes, she's mentioned to me that it drives her batty when you do that. Knock it off already, will you? The jig is up! It ain't workin'!

P.S. My word verification is "snhoewg." It is snhoewg outside here right now, and we've got 4" already!

JP said...

william I've found that you have to be selective in when you use the opposite approach. When you are in any bath and body, linens and things, and towel/sheet store, the opposite technique works incredibly well.

kranki Now you know to look out for this man tactic in all of your future social interactions!!

cb Knock it off??? Oh now, why would I ever do that? Besides I can slip it in here and there sometimes and it still works!! You just have to choose your battles.