Thursday, July 05, 2007

How's Work You Ask?

So I'm in week 3 of JP's new gig. I am still in training. My new employer has a pretty sweet "break in" period for new employees. So I started mid June, but I won't get my first project assignment until late August mid September. One of the biggest things I have to get used to is going in and seeing happy people. I am just totally not used to that. Needless to say though it is a refreshing change.

I was in a new hire class today with 15 other "new" employees. The thing is the new company I work for pretty much does not typically hire outsiders like me I found out recently (which makes JP feel pretty good about himself for now [wink]...[wink]...), but hires a lot of college graduates. So as you can expect, I was the only guy in my class who was not fresh out of college. I was also the only representative from my department in the class as well.

So being the only person from my department, the class instructor asked me to tell everyone what my department does, what the projects we do look like, and how my role fits in with their role. So at first I was like, "Um, Dude, I've only worked here for like 7 days, are you kidding me!!??" But that would be unlike me, so I stepped up and I actually was able to adequately describe what my department does, using the corporate "lingo" I've been trying to master since day 1, and relate how my role impacts what they'll be doing.

So things are going well. I'm feeling like I am starting to "get it," and I really am looking forward to my first assignment... "JP should you choose to accept it...this BLOG will self destruct in 10 seconds....."

2 comments:

Kranki said...

Working with happy people sounds awesome! Right on!

JP said...

kranki You cannot even imagine how wonderful it is! My parents told me such a place existed, but I never beleived them!