Thursday, July 05, 2007

Running for the Hills!!

So I am a golfer. Big surprise, right? Everyone who knows anything about me knows I love being out there hitting the little white ball around. I play in a league and I play every Thursday after work. Today was one of those "iffy" weather type of day. Mid 80's, about 90% humidity and severe warnings in place for pop up thunderstorms. So I'm out there in a match with a guy who is way better than I am, and I'm actually doing pretty well. I was up 2-0 on him in the match with 6 holes to play. Well that's when the bolt of lightning hit the fairway next to us, the thunder sounded immediately, and then the heavens opened up and dumped all of the water equivalent to the Atlantic ocean on us. I was packing my 40" umbrella which I immediately opened up, but once I see lightning, especially where it came down, I beat feet back to the clubhouse. I looked like this.

RunningForLife

That's pretty scary. Like mortal danger, fear scary. Now being the math guy I am I know the chances of getting struck by lightning is equivalent to winning the lottery, but still I tend to have that kind of luck, so I just keep trucking and don't look back.

So the match was called, and I went home drenched from head to toe. I walked into the house and peeled off my sopping wet clothes next to the washing machine and I left water marks on the floor as I went upstairs to get dry clothes. I toweled off my bag, shoes and clubs when I got home.

2 comments:

Kranki said...

I hear ya! When I was in Jamaica lightening struck about 25 feet behind me while I was sitting at an open beach bar taking cover from the rain. The odor was like noting I'd ever smelt before. Serious ozone! I was also glad my feet were on the stool instead of in the water pooling all over the place.

Freaky!

JP said...

kranki Oh yeah the smell of like burnt wiring abounded. Well that was until the torrents of rain came streaming down!