Thursday, July 03, 2008

Tension and Wound Too Tight

Plates on sticks spinning. Don't let them fall. Keep them spinning. Keep an eye on all of them and focus. Don't lose your focus or one of those plates will fall and break. Everyone's watching. Everyone wants to see the show, see your skill. Don't let them down. This show has been going on for 2 weeks straight. It's exhausting. I'm getting tired. But I only have to keep the plates spinning for the act and the show must go on.

That's exactly how I feel. It's what I've been living at work. Sharkey tells me tonight I'm too intense and I'm hanging on too tight and quickly heading to burnout city. Sharkey's right. God what would I do without her? Hope I never find out. But I pour everything I got into what I'm doing. It's what I do. It's what I've always done. But I think I need to back off a bit, take the edge off and find a pace that's more balanced.

I realized just how tightly wound I've been when I went to Sharkey's concert at Longwood Gardens tonight. She had to go warm up with the band, so I walked around the grounds. It did me a world of good. Lush gardens, fountains, and rolling meadows as far as the eye can see. And in one of the gardens I sat down at an elevated patio in a rocking chair. At that moment I took a huge, deep breath and the spinning plates were all gone. Relaxation is good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a nice time at the concert. Thanks for sort of helping me down the stairs :o)

Unknown said...

So it sounds like most of the other local bloggers have plans, but would you and Sharkey want to just come hang out with us and the boys tomorrow afternoon/evening? It's a bit of a drive for you guys but maybe you could get her to drive so you could have some beer! Might rain but that's ok. Mike bought some little fireworks to play with.

Kranki said...

I hope you can relax over the weekend. Play some Wii or something.

JP said...

lola Hey anytime. I didn't want you to take a header w/ your skirt on!

mainlinemom Thanks for the invite! We couldn't make it cause' of some late night hours, but I hope you had plenty of beer and fireworks to celebrate!

kranki Oh yeah! Rock On!! =)