Tuesday, June 24, 2008

PC's Humble the Wise

I work with computers. I convert large quantities of data for a living. I am also a problem solver. And most importantly, I do not give up. EVER. I give every issue I encounter 100% every single time. And I cannot let things go. These qualities are good, but it gets me into some really great predicaments. Tonight was no exception. You see, I am our church's resident IT person. I give input on hardware, software, and I have networked all the PC's in the church and setup the building with secure wireless. So last night I received a phone call from the treasurer saying Excel was not working. I decided I could fix the problem in a few minutes, so today I went to the church. I had Excel back up in about 15 minutes, and the treasurer walked in and was excited I fixed Excel. Then he asked me if I could take a look at another issue he had with another software package. As soon as he showed me the message I knew what it was right away and immediately I knew what it would take to fix it. And here's how I felt:

ComputerShomputer


See the problem is I installed software for my Stewardship committee on the church's computer to track member assignments and it conflicted with the treasurer's program. Essentially, the computer flipped me the bird. So I had to "revert" to my software support persona and figure out the software conflict. So 2 hours later, I resolved it and then went to On the Border with my brother for a 20oz Dos Equis

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I love that place (On the Border)!!! We don't have one out where we live now, but we used to go to one all the time. Mmmm, a margarita would be good right about now. Never mind that it's only 9:30 a.m. It's been a rough month.

At least you know the proper way to unwind after you sink your teeth into a project like that ;-)

JP said...

Q What's that Jimmy Buffet song? It's 5PM somewhere!!! Oh, and I am all about the unwinding... =)

Kranki said...

And it is not like you can curse out loud while fixing the church computer. Tough times.

JP said...

kranki Well all I have to say is, "forgive me father for I have sinned..." =)