Friday, March 17, 2006

The Smoking Monkey

I was talking with my good friend ChicagoCherie today. We were doing some reminiscing of the past. Specifically, we were talking about things we used to do when we were very little. I can remember my first family vacation. I was about 3. Yes it's true, I do remember. We were leaving home and all I could say was, "I want to go home, I want to go home." I have two older brothers, and when I started carrying on in the back seat, they both looked at me like I was nuts. They were both very afraid that I would convince Mom and Dad to turn around. So they employed the bribery tactic. At the first rest stop, they pulled their money together and bought something to get my attention and distract me from my "I want to go home" antics. My friends I give you the ultimate distraction for a three year old.....

The Smoking Monkey!!!!

Taaaaaaaaa Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!


This baby is guaranteed to amaze the mind of a child. I'm not sure why, but it seems there's just something hypnotic about a small monkey burning one, lighting up, taking a deep drag. Not sure why but it totally worked on me. It could have also been the cheap, aromatic cigarettes it came with that smelled of bad Buddhist incense overpowered my 3 year old underdeveloped lungs and made me loopy. Maybe they were early attempts at aroma therapy for kids?

Sure the PETA people would find this offensive and would most likely pie me in protest; the American Lung Association would not allow kids to play with such a carcinogen based toy today, but I really think for its time, circa 1972, it was a good, wholesome kids diversion. Think about it, everyone who was someone lit up back then. Why not timid jungle creatures? They have stressful lives too ya know.


5 comments:

Character Builder said...

Wow, that takes me back! I never had a smoking monkey, but I had some other type of character that smoked cigs just like that one. I don't think it was an animal, I think the little statuette thing was a little guy. But I can almost smell the horrible odor it gave off. So who gave you a lighter to get the cig lit?

Anonymous said...

Your brothers gave you a smoking monkey when you were 3?!?!?! And you still have it?!?!?! OMG! You could go to jail for giving a kid something like that today. I don't remember CB having a smoking toy but I'm sure I didn't give it to her. And who gave her the lighter to get hers lit?

JP said...

character builder I think one of my bros actually lit it. I'm sure they were watched very closely by my Mom who undoubtedly told them to be careful about 50 times in a row.

lucy Jail??? Nah... It's good clean fun. The monkey was only like 2 inches high and the cigarettes were about 1 1/2 inches long. Pretty harmless in fact.

Kranki said...

I have never seen anything like this before. They were probably banned in Canada. Good thing as I would have so totally bought one and tried to light it myself.

JP said...

kranki If I ever come across one of these again, you'll be getting one in the mail!!