Monday, July 31, 2006

My First Car and the Concrete Island

My first car was a Datsun 200sx. It was a pretty nifty little car and I had it when I was a senior in High School. So I was fortunate to not have to take the bus all Senior year.

See my car was actually my oldest brother's old car. He just bought a new car and decided instead of trading in his old wheels to give it to his younger brother. What a deal!! It was a 5 speed stick and didn't have many options, but it was all mine!

This leads me to my next story. Before I could drive the car all by myself, I had to pass my driver's test. I'll never forget the day before my driver's test, because that's when the concrete island incident happened. See my Dad came to pick me up at High School. I pulled out of the parking lot and was driving by the tennis courts where my friends were practicing. I thought I'd do a cool drive by and then accelerate out, just to show off. Well, I did my drive by and did my acceleration maneuver perfectly shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I was so cool!!! Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize that there was a concrete island in front of me. BAM!!!!!!! The entire car went over the island front wheels, then back wheels and my Father and I were bounced around in the car like pinballs. Then I drove home and my Dad shook his head and said, "I'm really not sure I should let you take that driving test tomorrow." I am laughing and smiling as I write this post, only because I can just picture how insanely funny, and how stupid I was and how the whole thing looked and sounded. I can remember looking in the rear view mirror and seeing my friends falling down on the tennis courts just laughing and rolling around!!!! Yeah it was definitely not my finest moment.

I'm glad to say my Dad did not kill me. My friends were surprised that I was in school the next day. They thought for sure my Dad would have given me a beating after that. And I'm happy to say he even let me take my driver's exam the next day, even though the concrete island incident had taken place the day before!! Of course I was without a car for 2 weeks afterwards for punishment. I chalk this all up to one of those really stupid things you do when you are a teenager.... =)


6 comments:

The Q said...

I giggled just imagining you & your Dad bouncing around and KNOWING that your friends were laughing AT you, not WITH you ;-)

My very first car was a Datsun Maxima (before they were called Nissan Maxima). My parents bought it for me on Father's Day from a UC Berkeley Professor. That car smelled like "old man funk" (read: mothballs), but I didn't care because it was ALL MINE.

I passed it along to my younger Brother who essentially did the EXACT SAME THING YOU DID. He drove it up over an island and totally whacked out the alignment.

Anonymous said...

Heh, Suzie, when JP posted this he knew you'd get a chuckle out of it.

I just wish his driving skills had improved in the twenty years since this incident.

Character Builder said...

Ouch, Sharkey! Who was it that took the corner too sharp not all that long ago, and ripped the trim right off of JP's car?

I have to side with him here--it's his blog.

I was trying hard not to laugh out loud because I'm at work, but just imagining what it must've looked like to see you run over that island while trying to be cool, is almost too much. I can totally picture it, and it's something that I can see myself doing.

Kranki said...

I love driving stories. I can just picture it. I didn't learn to drive until I was 19 so I was well away from high school friends by then. Thankfully, because I have done some bone headed things.

WILLIAM said...

I was smiling while reading this because I can picture myself falling down on the tennis court laughing at you. and I mean that in a good way.

JP said...

suzie similar family experience... Hum.... Why does that not surprise me?

sharkey be nice Sweetie, there are a few things I can say about your driving!!

cb well I guess you took care of what I could say about Sharkey's driving!! Sisters are movin' it groovin' it sisters!!!

kranki stick around, I got lots more where that came from...

william I would have much rather been one of the ones rolling around on the tennis counts believe me!!!!!!