Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Racial Profiling? How about Racial Marketing?

So I pick up the mail the other day and weed through all the solicitations and junk mail. And this beautiful piece of advertisement catches my eye:


TargetedMarketingYouBet

This thing has no other English on it except for "Dish Network" and my name and address. Humm...now how did I get this mailer? Could it be they think I am from Japan because of my last name? So if you wondered if racial marketing exists, wonder no more my friends!! What Asian marketing list from hell did I make it on? OK, so what you have to know is that my last name is the most Japanese thing about me. I couldn't tell you what that flier said beyond Dish Network. I admit I do eat Japanese food like miso soup, sushi, udon, teriyaki, katsu, etc. But I am as the Japanese Nationals say a BANANA!! I am yellow on the outside and white on the inside! Come to think of it, when Sharkey and I first dated her parents were freaked out a bit (before they met me of course) that I may be too foreign for her. I think her Mom even asked if I ate ethnic foods. Sharkey said, "Oh yeah he sure does, he made us tacos just the other night!" Needless to say, I'm thinking I'm not picking up Dish Network anytime soon. I'm thinking it could be difficult to read my monthly bill in Japanese... =)

3 comments:

Sharkey said...

I bet you could watch Ninja Warrior as God intended, instead of with the voiced-over English. Tempting, no? :)

Sharkey

The Q said...

My Brother has a friend who is Asian and they call him a Twinkie (along the same lines as the yellow and white that you mentioned).

I had to laugh at the tacos comment ;-)

The first thing my brother wanted to know when I told him that the Hubs was Portuguese was if he could get us some linguica & Portuguese sweet bread.

JP said...

Sharkey Ninja Warrior? I don't think I explained that to everyone in the BLOG world...I'll have to post about that...

Soozieq Twinkie, Banana, I have heard them all! It's a good thing the Hubs and I married such enlightened women who look past our cultural backgrounds! Or lack thereof...