Sunday, December 09, 2007

What Will the Future Hold?

Today I went with Sharkey to a Christmas concert she played in at a retirement center. It was a lot of fun! They played some familiar and not so familiar tunes. The retirement center was not your typical nursing home. It was an assisted living place and a pretty posh one at that. It had beautiful hardwood everywhere, crystal vases decorating tables, plush furniture, oh and a bathroom around every corner, you know "gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now!!!" Where Sharkey's group played looked like a Broadway Theater. It was overall very impressive. I asked one of the staff when I could move in. =)

So I'm sitting there among the Senior Citizens in the theater and it got me thinking. So what will it be like when I hit that age? I mean Lord willing I make it to retirement and all. But think about it. Will I be talking about the "good old days?" Remember, when I had my new fangled MacBook and I used to watch DVD's and how Nintendo Wii was all the rage. And I can remember when clothes had to be dry cleaned and we used cell phones to text message each other. Of course that was when the 1st Internet was in place and I used to have my own BLOG to jot down all my thoughts. So will my grandchildren think I'm from Mars and dated? Will I wear velcro sneakers and pull my pants up to my armpits? I'll talk about all my television shows and how I remember all the great stuff as I slurp my protein Boost shake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weird, I was thinking almost the same thing the other day. We were talking about grandparents and cell phones, and my grandmother is so against any type of technology - we've given her a cell phone, tried to show her how to use the computer, and she just refuses to even try to learn. So I was thinking, in the future, will I be opposed to learning all the new-fangled gadgets?

Hope you enjoyed the concert! (Pretty sure the band outnumbered the audience for that one...)

JP said...

lola Nah. I'm thinking when we retire, Nursing Homes will need to be WiFi enabled and have flat screens for all us gray hairs to play Halo on!! Rock on!!