Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Golf, golf, golf...

So is it bad to publish 2 posts in one day? Is there some BLOG rule against that? Will I have to give back my decoder ring? Well, too bad, cause' I'm doin' it!

So golf season has started. Sharkey is a golf widow again. Golf can be down right maddening though. You practice, work on the swing, short game, putting, and the boomstick. So last year I was shooting around 86. So far, I've posted 96, 107, 88, and 98. ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!Things definitely are not right in JP land!

My game is interesting. I'm about 5' 8" which makes me average height, but I can crush the ball off the tee, about 230 yards with my 5 wood and about 270 with my driver. I can hit the woods pretty well and I'm pretty accurate. On 9 holes I average hitting 5-6 fairways off the tee. That's great right? Well it really hasn't been. Because my swing has been so not dependable with my irons, so I typically hit the ball off the fairway, over the green, in the trees, in the sand, or short of the green. It's quite frustrating after having a great 1st shot. I have been cranking my ass!!!! If you've ever seen the Robin Williams HBO special, he does an excellent bit on golf. And the funniest part is, it is totally true!!!!

Robin Williams Golf
Watch it now on StupidVideos!


But tonight I feel like I made a big turn. If you play golf you know that things do not always work the way they do for the guys you see on TV. You realize that those guys are the real deal and how much of a hacker you really are. But then if you are really blessed, you have those moments that you feel everything clicking. I think I made the turn with my irons tonight. When things go well, you know it. You can sense it. You feel it down to your core. Everything is working and there is no doubt in your mind where that ball is going to go. You have confidence and you feel that you can do no wrong. That's how I feel tonight. I'm in zen golf mode. I'm playing tomorrow and I'm really hoping for good things. It comes down to that I'm back on plane I can feel the club head through my swing and I can make that ball fly!!!!

2 comments:

Character Builder said...

That video was pretty funny. That probably IS how the game of golf was invented. Good luck with your game. Are you going to bring your clubs with you when you come to MN in June? Maybe you & Jason could make it out sometime.

JP said...

cb tell Jason to gear up. I'll bring my sticks. If we cannot play, I'll go to Pine Island and freak some locals out!