Saturday, May 06, 2006

Who Cooks?

When Sharkey and I were married, we made a household rule. Whoever does not cook, cleans up the kitchen. Well, being the anti-cleaning person that I am, where I love to clean so very much, I do pretty much all the cooking. And it's not because Sharkey can only make cereal and toast. Well OK, so she does make a lot of cereal and toast, but that's not totally why. =) I do enjoy it. I try to make a lot of different things and I try to do a lot of new things, time permitting. I'm also seasonal in what I make. In winter as everyone knows you do comfort foods like beef stroganoff, chili, and baked orzo and cheese. In the summer time, you do more Asian Chicken salads, seared tuna, grilling Mexican chicken sandwiches, and more colorful things like kabobs. I am also into the food presentation. So I try to arrange things and have some fun with what I make. I also try to go back to the "homeland" once in a while and make Japanese dishes. So you probably think all Japanese can make sushi. That is totally not true. However, JP can do sushi. I've done the California rolls, the nigiri with tuna and salmon and the maki rolls. I have the tools too. The super sharp knives, the bamboo rolling mats, sushi plates, chopstick holders, and fortunately for me Wegman's has a really decent Japanese, YES JAPANESE, not just "Asian" section of their store!!



One time I was at Wegmans, I was approached by this woman who was going to make a traditional Japanese dinner for her boyfriend. So she proceeded to ask me all these questions for about 1/2 an hour about what ingredients to use, how to do what, what's the secret to this, etc. I was happy to help. The funnier part was that this lady was what we Japanese people call a "hagojin" or in modern English a "whitey." It is interesting how much things have changed. No longer are we the sandal wearing goldfish tending people. We have technology, automobiles, and culinary respect!! Not bad for the "quiet American" people.

5 comments:

The Q said...

Goldfish? Hmm, I totally thought all Japanese people owned Koi fish.

KIDDING!!!

You cook AND you steam clean the carpets? I'm so jealous that Sharkey has you. I mean that in a totally NON-PERVY way (ask Sharkey, she knows what I mean by that "NON-PERVY" thing).

I've had three boyfriends in my lifetime (I'm a long term commitment kinda person, not a floater) and one of those boyfriends is the now Hubs. The two guys I dated prior to the Hubs could cook and I mean REALLY cook! The last one, although a hagojin, was awesome in the sushi "making" department. Sadly, I had to dump BOTH boyfriends because they sucked in so many other ways and now I'm with the Hubs...who probably couldn't even give Sharkey a run for her money in the cereal or toast department.

But I guess it's a small price to pay.

When can I expect to have dinner at Casa JP/Sharkey? :-)

WHAT? Is that rude to invite myself over?

Anonymous said...

Come on over anytime, Suzie! I think it would be fun to have you guys over for dinner. Of course I do--J.P. would have to cook for all of us then!

Funny thing is, when we have company it seems I do more of the cooking. What's up with that? I never practice, yet when we have guests it becomes my responsibility?!?

Kranki said...

Mmmmmm SUSHI!!! Such talent!

Anonymous said...

Do you know I just laughed out loud when I read the part about 'quiet American'. Umm JP...Dude you are so not quiet. Not that I would ever wish you to be any different. Just something I couldn't help pointing out. ;-)

JP said...

soozieqCome on over anytime!!

krankiSame goes for you. I'll roll ya something good

cherie Busting me out online!! What a friend! But you are correct, I'm not your typical Japanese