Friday, May 26, 2006

It Is Just As Natural As Breathing

Sharkey and I celebrated our 6th year wedding anniversary last month. It's a bit late to be writing about that since it is May 26th, but as we were out and about tonight I was in one of my reflective moods. See, one of Sharkey's friend's marriage is ending after 8 years and we were talking about it in the car. It just made me think about how impossible that seems to me. Divorce. I just could not picture my life without Sharkey. She is totally my soul mate. She is definitely my best friend. She gives me her perspective on things I never even think of. Sure it may get annoying that it seems she's right about 96% of the time, and I'm constantly doing the deer in the headlights blinking because I never thought about "that," but I do appreciate the different perspective. We totally complement each other, maybe because neither of us takes ourselves so seriously, and more often than not when something happens we react pretty similarly and are thinking the same thing. I can honestly say I'm a better person because of having her in my life. And she may have 10,000 reasons why she loves me, but my list is pretty long as well, trust me.

Marrying her was one of the easiest and most natural things I have ever done in my life. It was just as natural as breathing. And even with all the stuff we've been through with breast cancer and all, I would still do it all over again without any hesitation. I never had any doubts about it from the first date, to when we were up at the altar, to now as I type this post and she is curled up watching the Dog Whisperer. I still remember our wedding day. I went downstairs because one of the bridesmaids told me Sharkey wanted to see me as soon as I walked into the church. I figured there was some last minute detail she wanted to go over with me. Did I forget the wedding license (nope it's in my tux pocket)? Did I forget the check for the country club (nope that's next to the license in the side tux pocket)? Did I forget her ring (JP fumbles through pockets frantically, oh yeah there's the ring)? So I arrived at the children's classroom downstairs where Sharkey was and there she was in her wedding gown and veil. Now mind you I had never seen her in the wedding gear until then. She turned and looked and me and said, "Well, what do you think?" I just cried when I saw her. She was absolutely stunning. This action in turn made Sharkey start to cry too. We stopped after about a minute or so and she retouched her makeup and the rest is history. Sure we laughed during the wedding vows in front of all our family and friends, but who doesn't right? =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

JP, I just had to say, this is so sweet! I'm glad there's people in the world who can be so happy together :o)

Character Builder said...

What a beautiful post. I bet she cried when she read it. I know I teared up a bit when you said that you did. You guys ARE totally made for each other. I'm glad you found each other. I just wish she would have found you in Wisconsin or something.

JP said...

lola Thanks! When it is right, it is just right.

cb Ya, ya. You know your sister. She is very particular about what she wants! And regional locations can change over time!