Friday, April 27, 2007

How'd I Get Here?

I was having some issues with my stomach a while back. See I have acid reflux and I take a wonderful proton pump inhibitor called Prilosec. I was doing fine until recently I had some really nasty pain coming from my abdomen. It was coming and going and would subside after I would eat and then come right back 2 hours later. So like a responsible adult I went to the doctor for a checkup, and then shortly after I ended up at the local gastroenterology office for a consult. The G.I. person said that I should get an endoscopy done to check if everything was OK.


So Sharkey and I took a day off of work and off to the local hospital we went for me to have this procedure done. So Sharkey was able to stay with me even after they wheeled me in the endoscopy lab. She was pretty funny. She played around with the Olympus endoscopy equipment and was commenting on how it is color and had a interesting lens, and was passing her hand in front of it seeing the image on the monitor screen and all I could think was "Holy cow, that thing's going to be in my body, give me the DRUGS NOW!!!!" So the GI Doctor came in and was ready to start so Sharkey gave me a kiss and I sucked it up and gave her my "no problem I'm brave" face. So the GI Doctor ordered the nurse to push 10-2 of something into my IV, and he asked me what I did, where I went to school, and what I studied. The last thing I remember was telling him I studied mathematics in college and I am currently doing IT now. So I have flashes of that day. Mostly I had questions. The next thing I remember was sitting in a chair after I "woke up" and saying to Sharkey, "How did I get here??" I really had no idea, because the last thing I remembered was laying on the operating bed. So I was amazed to be sitting in this chair and not lying down. The rest Sharkey sort of filled in for me. Evidently I asked "How did I get here??" about 5x. I also asked, "Did the doctor come in??" about 5x. The doctor did come in and told us everything was OK most importantly. Apparently I had some viral thing going on. So we got home and Sharkey put me to bed. Then about 2 hours later I was out of it again and said to her "How did I get here??" GOOD DRUGS!!!!! Like a loving wife, Sharkey just laughed at me and still thinks that day was pretty funny.

2 comments:

Kranki said...

I just sympathy gagged for you. *gack*

Glad it wasn't anything terrible and the drugs were good.

JP said...

kranki Better living through chemistry I always say!! =)