Monday, August 07, 2006

The Sticks

I had a request to explain my "drawlrings" so I thought I'd honor Suzie's request and explain them or rather why I do them. So here goes...

The stick figures started about 17 years ago. My brother was just married and I used to spend a lot of time over his house because I used to go to school near where he lived in NJ. Well, he and his new wife had a guestbook that they used to track who visited them. So every time I went there, I would sign the book. First I did it for a joke because it was sort of annoying to me to sign in whenever I went to visit. Then I decided to start drawing stick figures in it. At first I did the smiley faces, then I switched to themes, and then finally it got to the point where I was recording things that happened every time I visited them. The stick figures became more and more "alive" and personalized. They turned into a conversational piece at my brother's house, so I just kept doing it.

I have a specific figure I do for me.


Sharkey has her own specific stick figure.


And the story doesn't end there.

When Sharkey and I were married, I decided to start adding my "Sticks" to her Grandma and Grandpa's cards we'd give them. So with each card, they received a snippet of what Sharkey and I were up to. Now, Grandma B and Grandpa Bud expect the "Sticks" in their cards. In fact, they saved every single one I've ever sent them. And God forbid if I ever forget to do that. When we send them cards, Sharkey always reminds me to draw the "Sticks" for them. Sharkey's cousin took all of them and scrap booked them for B & Bud, so my "drawlrings" have been saved for all posterity.

The funny thing is, I see this booth in the KOP mall for figures similar to mine, and I turned and said to Sharkey, "Those bastards ripped me off!!!" OK, I know stick figures aren't trademarked, but still, I totally thought of it first!! Everybody knows it...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only I were really that skinny . . .

The Q said...

Ok, J.P. you just made me totally crack up and say "Drawlrings" outloud a la Mike Myers. I used to love that (I think it was) "Simon" skit. *sigh*

Anyway, thank you for the explanation.

But I'm confused, your Brother and SIL have a guestbook that people sign....like when they walk in the front door? Like people have at weddings? I've never heard of such a thing. But if it gave "birth" to the "Sticks" then it's gotta be a good thing!

But one thing....you really didn't capture the beauty of Sharkey's hair in that "drawlring".

I'm just saying ;-)

WILLIAM said...

There is a couple of things I find very cool about this post.
1. That your brother had a guestbook. I think I may start doing that.
2. That your stick figures are expected now. Very Cool.