Sunday, November 19, 2006

The $8 Beer

Had quite the day Friday. Actually, I had quite the week. Work has been, um, really freakin' sucky, so my posting has suffered for it. Anyway, after finishing a hectic week, Sharkey and I went to one of "our" local favorite places to eat (yes, people it is our exclusive place), Winner's Circle. It is essentially a sports bar. They have about 20 different screens broadcasting a bunch of different sports events going on and they have these speaker contraptions on each table that allows you to tune into a specific screen and hear what's going on. It is a great hang out for the big games and it is also great for families because it's pretty loud and hopping, so if there are screaming kids you don't really notice it. They have GREAT wings and their other food is pretty good as well. My usual fare includes the brown bag fish and chips or the Italian stromboli. The Sharkey woman usually gets the tavern ham and cheese with wasabi mustard on a pretzel road, or the south west chicken salad.

We sat down and the waitress came to take our drink order. Sharkey ordered a margarita and then she asked me what I wanted. I like the Sam Adams seasonal brews so I asked what they had on tap. Found out they had the winter ale. Sign me up!!! She asked if I wanted a 16 oz or 22 oz. Without a second passing, I ordered a 22 oz, because again, bad day/bad week.

So after some good food and 22 oz of ale the check came. My 22oz glass of bliss and happiness, and "proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper," cost $8. $8 for a mug of beer. Sure it was good and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but $8 for beer?? So I told Sharkey that I'm a 16oz man from now on. We paid and were walking out, when the server came running up to us and handed me the mug. Turns out that the $8 beer is a special promotion where you get the 22 oz mug and you can bring it back and get it refilled with whatever tap beer you want for $3. WOW!!! Did I tell you that I love that place!!!

8dollarbeer

So now I just need to remember to take the mug with me when we go there. Maybe I should keep it in my car glove compartment. Otherwise you'll be hearing: "Honey, where's my mug? What, where are we going? I need my mug. I have to run home and get my mug if we're going there."

3 comments:

Kranki said...

That is one huge ass beer mug.

I don't drink alcohol and one of the reasons why is that a pint of beer here in Vancouver generally costs 8 bucks normally. Yes, you will find specials and nasty brand name beer for less but any kind of good beer will cost that much.

You may want to get into that workshop and make a case for the trunk of your car to hold that glass because $3 is a GREAT deal.

Anonymous said...

okay I am still trying to figure out why the Folgers is in the picture? A little help?

JP said...

kranki $3 is an awesome deal! Clanking around flagrons of ale is the best!!

cherie the coffee is in the picture to give perspective as to the size of the beer mug. It is one of those photography thingy's you do so you get the idea of size...