Sunday, May 13, 2007

Resigned This Week

So as you know I resigned from my job on Tuesday. You know you go over in your mind exactly how you are going to approach a situation and you prepare yourself for all of the typical fallout questions that follow. Why are you going? Where are you going? Can we do anything to keep you here? What exactly compelled you to go? All typical questions you get from a job resignation. Well as much as you can prepare, there are some things you just do not foresee. Like when you tell your manager she starts to cry. Now I'm a professional, but geeze I just cannot stand it when someone, especially a woman for some reason, cries in front of me or because of me. So I do what I do best. I just try to be positive and make a joke of the entire thing. So eventually the crying stops and there's sort of an uncomfortable silence, then I'm like, "So... anything else? Can I go now? Pleeeeeeaaaaasssseeee...."

So Tuesday was interesting, but not nearly as interesting as when my team found out about my leaving. This happened at our weekly team meeting we had. It went something like this:

JP: Well guys I just wanted you to know I gave my notice this week.

Everyone: !!!!! SILENCE !!!!!!! 2 MINUTES

Everyone: !!!!! SILENCE !!!!!!! 2 MINUTES

Coworker1: Tears up, leaves room... 1 MIN 45 SECONDS

Coworker2: Is this April 1st by any chance? Please tell me it is...

Coworker3: I hope this is one of those nightmares you wake up from and then are relieved it was only a dream.

JP: Um, er, um, I'm not quite sure what to say, only it's been an honor and you will all be fine. You're all strong individuals, great professionals, and I know the work we've done TOGETHER will go on without me.

Everyone: !!!!! SILENCE !!!!!! 2 MINUTES


I'm telling you that's how it went down. And again my manager seemed to have the deer in the headlights reaction to what was going on exactly the same as when I told her on Tuesday. I so totally wished the meeting would have been moderated better. But I suppose I found out that day like Sally Field at the Oscar's, "They like me, they really, really like me." So like I said, you picture how it goes in your head, but unfortunately you cannot foresee how things will really play out, because let's face it people are NUTS!!!

But I do know one thing for sure. When I resigned and gave notice it felt...GOOD!!! Onward people, ever onward and upward!

4 comments:

Kranki said...

While very uncomfortable and somewhat weird I agree that you can consider your co-workers' behavior a tremendous compliment.

Anonymous said...

Bet you didn't realize you were alot of the "glue" holding that group together....!

KB

Character Builder said...

With reactions like those, I would bet there are more resignations forthcoming.

JP said...

kranki Too true. It was just shocking...

KB I knew I was one of the big players in the group, but I never expected that reaction. It was very surreal.

CB Not in my group yet, but I've heard of 4 others who resigned shortly after me.