Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Road Rage

So tonight I was off running some errands. These errands require me to go to various shopping places. So I'm driving, relaxed, life is good, I have the tunes cranking, and the weather is beautiful. And at that point that's where it all went wrong. This jackhole kid in an SUV pulls out in front of me and I almost crash into him. I hit the brakes, the antilock kicks in, and I do a quick look to the side and avoid hitting him from the rear by doing a left swerve manuver. I nail the horn and stay on it for a really long time. Now mind you I was actually traveling the speed limit and when he pulled out and initiated a right turn, he was at a light with a NO TURN ON RED sign.

Oh wait it gets better. Sure we all have lapses in judgement. We pull out when we shouldn't and we all do stupid things on the road. Those are called accidents. I get that. I understand that. I live that. So you feel apologetic, or embarassed, and you just move on and give the "I'm sorry wave of the hand" and sulk away. So when the kid completely stopped Mommy and Daddy's SUV in the middle of a 35 MPH zone and stretched out the window and gave me the "What's your problem Dude? You almost hit my Mom and Dad's SUV" look, that's when I pretty much lost it. I gave him the "Are you F'ing kidding me!!!!" look, the "Screw you rich kid!!!" hand waves and the "If you even get out of your parents' car I'm going to put you down like a sack of flour" stare.

So he finally drives away and I get to my destination and calm down and then I think about how I would want my kid to react if he did the same stupid thing. Because the fact that I almost crashed into the kid and that he made a bad judgement in turning is not what set me off. It is the entitlement, smart ass, non-accountable reaction I received after the fact.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to say "put you down like a sack of flour" all the time now!

Anonymous said...

Your just trying to make me quit lurking aren't you???

I like you too much to lose you because of some idiot with road rage.

I know that you are familiar with Smokey the Bear, but are you familiar with Roadkill Phill?

Roadkill Phill says...

Take Action! You Can Prevent Aggressive Driving.

Just as community groups have banded together to protect their neighborhoods, drivers must take an active role in preventing aggressive driving on our roads and highways. Here are some simple tips on how to make a difference.

Report incidents of aggressive driving. If your safety or the safety of someone around you is being threatened by an aggressive driver, use a cell phone to contact local law enforcement officials.

Set an example for younger passengers. Children are keenly observant. Educating them at an early age through your actions will teach them the importance of being courteous.

Kranki said...

I feel your pain. And couldn't agree with you more.

JP said...

lola That line is new "Go ahead, make my day.."

JudePA Yeah, the kid could've been a druggie, packing a weapon, or nuts, and sure I should've called it in so his parents were on the receiving end of a police call or visit, but my way is just gosh darn more gratifying and instantly satisfying

kranki Kids today@! =)